Sunday, September 18, 2011

My First Fondant Cake!

I decided to experiment with fondant.  How hard can it be right?  I heard that the homemade marshmallow fondant was much cheaper to use and tasted better than regular fondant so I decided to see what all the fuss was about.  I used a standard marshmallow fondant recipe I found online:

16 oz marshmallows
2lbs confection sugar
2 Tbsp water
2 Tsp vanilla

Making the fondant wasn't as hard as I thought but it was VERY sticky!!  My advice to anyone would be to grease everything that will touch the fondant with Crisco - a lot of Crisco!  So I made my fondant, baked a square cake and decided to cover it with my fondant. 

I colored my fondant green.  It came out kind of tye dyed because my fondant wasn't warm enough when I was mixing the color in (I think?!)  When I colored more fondant blue I made sure the fondant was warmer and it was much easier to color.  But I think the tye dye looked pretty cool.


2 comments:

Thank you for commenting. I love reading every one of them!