My obsession with Bark continues. I think what I love about it most is that it is so easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for it to chill before you eat it. I joined Danielle's at Hugs and Cookies XOXO Weekly Bake Along which you can find on her Facebook page. This week the Bake Along was Caramel Pecan Bark - or Turtle Bark. Yummy - I had to join!
I know the first time I made bark I used dark chocolate and decided I preferred milk chocolate. But this recipe calls for dark chocolate so I gave it one more try - I am glad I did. It is so delicious!
I prepared my 8x8 pan by lining it with parchment paper so the bark wouldn't stick to it. I melted my dark chocolate chips in a double boiler and spread half of it in the pan. Chilled it for 5 minutes and ready for the next layer which is caramel and pecans. Is your mouth watering yet?
I didn't toast my pecans as the recipe says to do. I love pecans the way they are and so I left them that way. Now on to the caramel. I was a little intimidated. I have never made caramel or any candy and I had heard it was hard. You must get it to a specific temperature - right? I don't even own a candy thermometer (yet!). But the recipe (see bottom of the post) sounded like something I could do - so what the heck! This is an experiment you know :)
I put the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and I was off. It was a lot easier than I thought and when I was done I really did have caramel! Much to my own amazement, not that hard!!
I don't know why the picture is sideways!! If you know why it is doing this let me know!!
I took the bark out of the fridge, added a layer of caramel and pecans and put it back in the fridge. One more layer of chocolate, then more caramel and pecans and voila! You are done. I did chill it after the final layer for quite awhile - say 30 minutes. Which is an eternity when you are waiting to try it. I loved it, in fact I am eating it right now :)
Turtle Bark - Recipe by Hugs and Cookies XOXO (slightly modified)
-16 oz dark chocolate chips
-1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons pecans (separated)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
1. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper.
2. For the Caramel Filling (You can do this!):
Put sugar and water into a saucepan over medium low heat stirring until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high using the handle of the pot to give the pot a swirl to keep the mixture moving. Do not stir directly at this point. The mixture will start to bubble when it turns medium amber in color (approximately 5-7 minutes), add the butter and heavy cream to the saucepan. The mixture will bubble a lot!! Whisk to combine. Set aside and cool completely. Reserve 2 tablespoons for topping.
3. Pour half of the melted chocolate into your pan and smooth. Place pan in refrigerator for at least 5 minutes.
4. Remove from refrigerator and pour all of caramel except 2 tablespoons into pan. Gently sprinkle 1/2 cup of pecans onto the caramel and press into caramel lightly with your hand. Place in refrigerator for 7-10 minutes.
5. Pour remaining chocolate on top and refrigerate for 20 minutes so the bark can set.
6. When bark is set sprinkle top with 2 tablespoons of pecans. Place your remaining 2 tablespoons of caramel in plastic sandwich bag. Cut small corner of bag off and drizzle caramel over pecans. Enjoy!!!