Sunday, December 18, 2011

Chocolate Mint Chip Oat Cookies - Frosting For The Cause

Today I am excited to guest post on the Frosting for the Cause blog, so head on over there to see the entire site and all of the women who are making a difference.!

When I stumbled upon the Frosting For The Cause blog I was inspired!  I love that by baking and sharing we are actually helping raise money and awareness.  I want to thank Paula for this amazing opportunity.  Like most people, I know several people who have been affected by cancer.  However, one holds a special place in my heart, a woman that I never met, my Dad's mom.  Even though I never got to meet her I love and feel deeply connected to her.  It is amazing how love can transcend anything, even not knowing someone.  I feel I do know her because I know my Dad.   She raised my Dad to be one of the best men that I know.  Cancer took her when my Dad was only 21 years old. 

Today I am baking Chocolate Mint Chip Oat Cookies.  I love these cookies because they look a little underrated.  Maybe just some old chocolate cookies, but then you bite into them and taste the chocolate, mint and oat all at the same time.  Yum - I love it and I hope you do too!



Chocolate Mint Chip Oat Cookies (adapted from The Cookie Bible )

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup mint chips (I used Andes Creme De Menthe baking chips)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup uncooked oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)

Start by preheating your oven to 375°F.  Line your cookies sheets with parchment paper.  Melt the chocolate chips in your microwave and set aside.  The chocolate can be thick and gooey.


In an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Then add melted chocolate, egg and vanilla and beat until combined.



Combine remaining dry ingrendients: flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  A little at a time add dry ingredients to the mixture and combine.


Now - stir in the mint chips by hand.  I usually don't beat them in the mixer, sometimes it breaks them down and we want them to be whole.


Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto your cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes.  Cool for only 1 minute on cookie sheets and them move to wire cooling racks.  Enjoy!




This post may be shared with:
Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms - Melt in Your Mouth Monday
Sweetology - Tea Party Tuesday
Crazy for Crust - Crazy Sweet Tuesday
Mrs Fox's Sweets - Sweet Party
Junk In Their Trunk - Link It Up Wednesday
Hugs and Cookies XO - Wonka Wednesday
Happy Hour Projects - Freestyle Friday
Toys In The Dryer - Fun Stuff Fridays

2 comments:

  1. this is a fantastic post for FFTC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy cookies and such a great cause. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I love reading every one of them!